Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ode to Oatmeal,The Pumpkin Edition!


Pumpkin Oatmeal! Yay! How do ya like my pug mug? :)
 I'll admit it. I may or may not be a smidge obsessed with oatmeal. I think you would be too if you just took a look at some of the great health benefits! I actually blogged about it not too long ago... you can read all about why I love it so much. I've heard so many people say, "No, I know it's good for me, but the texture freaks me out." Or, "I hate the way it sounds when you eat it... like when you dig your spoon into it, it just sound, ugh." That last sentiment is from my younger sister, she's silly like that, and she's probably the one person I know that would avoid a food because of the way it "sounds." That's why I love her though :)

If the texture, taste, smell, sight or sound freaks out, then check out my previous post about my FAVORITE way to eat oatmeal... with mashed up bananas and PB! Yummers! I'm pretty sure it will change your life forever.

I'm not gonna bore you with a re-post of a previous post, I'm here to tell you about a FABULOUS new oatmeal recipe for all you oatmeal skeptics and pumpkin lovers alike (PS try the pumpkin cupcakes I made last week, they're to die for even without the frosting!) Friends... I give you, pumpkin oatmeal! I used the same basic ingredients (oats, oatbran, chia seeds, etc) but instead of PB I use canned pumpkin and a little something extra special to top it off...

 
Warning: Pumpkin Spice Candle was not an actual ingredient, just the inspiration :)
Laurie's Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
1 cup water
1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1 Tb. oat bran
1 Tb. flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)1/4 - 1/2 tsp *pumpkin pie spice
1/2 medium banana (the riper, the better!)1 -2 Tb. vanilla almond milk
1/3 cup canned pumpkin (NOT canned pumpkin pie mix! That's got sugar 'n stuff added in! Also, because of the pumpkin shortage last fall, it may be a challenge to locate. Kroger doesn't have it in stock yet, but Schnucks does!)
1 Tb. chia seeds
Agave Nectar
1/4 cup Nature's Path Organic Pumpkin Flax Seed Granola (only $2.75 at Target... it'll cost you almost double at Kroger!)

1. Bring the water to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
2. While that's happening, put the banana  in a ziploc bag and smoosh it till you have a lovely banana "puree."
3. Add the oats, oat bran, flax seed, spices to the boiling water. Stir constantly for 3 minutes.
4. Snip off the corner of the ziploc bag and squeeze the banana into the oats, add the canned pumpkin and vanilla almond milk. Keep stirring for 1 minute.
5. Add the chia seeds and stir until completely combined.
6. Pour your oats into your bowl and top with granola and a nice little drizzle of agave nectar.
7. Enjoy!

Here's a few tips from me to you... when it comes to granola:
- Psst... easy on the granola there! While it is very tastey and good for you, it can also be VERY high in calories, fat, AND sugar! Always check your ingredients before you purchase.
- Here's my rule of thumb when it comes to sugar content and cereal... no more than 10g of sugar PER serving. That's just too much for you!
- Like I said, granola is high in calories... that's why I use 1/4 cup sprinkled on top of my oats rather than eat a bowl of granola cereal on it's own.
- It this stresses you out too much, you can always make your own! There are lots of simple, healthy recipes for granola out there on the interweb ;)

Don't have a jar of Pumpkin Pie Spice on hand? Cause I didn't...

Make your own PPS!
4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
4 teaspoons ground ginger 
3 teaspoons ground allspice
- Place all spices in a small tupperware container... close the lid tightly. Shake, shake, shake! Store along with the rest of your spices.

I usually don't have the time/energy/money to grab a Starbucks unless I'm eating on the run... but I'm sure that a Pumpkin Spice Latte would be heavenly with this breakfast. I actually prefer a Pumpkin Spice CHAI Latte. That is heaven. Now if we can just get this crazy Memphis weather to actually act like it's fall...

Up close and personal... see the little green pumpkin seeds? De-lightful!

Truth time... seriously, who's the cuter pug? Mug pug, or Mr. Teddy? I found him sunbathing in the backyard the other day... look at the relaxed look on his face! Hehe... he makes me giggle :)

ATTENTION MEMPHIS PEOPLE!
This coming Saturday, September 25th is National Health and Family Fitness Day! Wahoo!
So get out there and get moving... want an idea?

The City of Memphis & Shelby County are hosting the 1st Annual Family Fun Run & Walk 5K! Check out this link to the Shelby County's website for more information, but I will say this... it's FREE! And you get a FREE tshirt (while supplies last.) If you pre-register, they will reserve a shirt for you! It's not
too late, fax in your registration form today! There's going to be other FREE activities like
fitness demos, FREE food, music, and FREE health screenings!

I would totally be going, but I have a prior engagement.
Remember my BFF Christen... the one that loves all things polka dots?
She's getting married on Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Laurie! I couldn't find a way on the site to email you, but I wanted to say Hello to a fellow healthy Memphian (since they are so hard to find LOL)!
    This pumpkin oatmeal looks GREAT. I've been adding pumpkin to my Bob's Red Mill Muesli in the morning. Good, but I still haven't found the right combo. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your sweet comment! I definitely think there's a lack of healthy living bloggers in the mid-south! So I'm glad you found me!

    I know what you mean about finding the right combination... I would recommend adding a sprinkle of the pumpkin pie spice and a drizzle of amber agave nectar, it brings out the sweetness without being overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently bought some agave! I'll give it a try. Unfortunately, I discovered the hard way that agave may LOOK like honey, but it's a LOT thinner! :-/

    ReplyDelete